This offseason, the Giants are reshuffling their front office and team, so it’s only right that this season, we’re changing things up with the Community Prospect List!
Yes, free f.p. #14 has moved on from running the CPL this year, and the entire McCoven thanks him for all he’s done the past few years giving us something to do during the days without baseball. This year, Kevin and Roger will take on the list, posting the polls and tallying your votes.
We’ve renamed the list the “Willie McCovey Memorial Community Prospect List”, in memory of the great Giant. The list has always honored McCovey, as the name of this website does, but with his passing, Roger and I felt it was appropriate to make the honor official this year.
With that news out of the way, let’s talk about how the polls will work this year.
- We will start on Thursday, Dec. 13th, with the poll for this year’s number 1 prospect.
- New polls will be posted at 3 pm PST every weekday. Votes will be tallied whenever Kevin or Roger see them before posting the next poll.
- Only one vote per user is allowed.
- All players who are still rookie eligible are eligible for this poll. This means batters who have 130 or less at-bats in the Majors, and pitchers who have 50 or less innings pitched in the Majors, or players who have spent 45 days on the active roster. This includes minor league free agents the Giants have signed this offseason.
- We will select 44 prospects for the list, honoring the jersey number of Willie McCovey.
- Nominations will be handled as before: When we have just four players left in a poll, we will call for nominations under the first comment. We may name players, but everyone is invited to name someone. Vote by clicking the ‘rec’ under the comment. You can vote for as many players to be nominated as you wish. The four nominees with the most votes will be added to the poll.
- Ties in voting will be broken by a runoff. If two players tie, the winner of the tiebreaker will get the spot, the loser will get the next spot. If three or more players tie, then only the winner will get a spot on the list, and the losers will be returned to the poll.
- When names are listed for the polls, the First Name will link to the player’s Baseball-Reference page, the Last Name links to the player’s Fangraphs page (if applicable). We also encourage voters to campaign for their favorite choices in the comments. Favoritism by all voters is encouraged, except by Roger and Kevin (which means Tyler Rogers, once again, will NOT be the #1 prospect).
- We will have a Storystream that will hold the polls, to easily track past days, see past arguments and how the votes have been tallied.
For today, we welcome nominees for the first set of polls. We’ll take the top six-voted nominees for our first poll, for 12/13.
We also put to you an issue that needs to be discussed and chosen by you. The Giants are one of many teams interested in pitcher Yusei Kikuchi, posted from Nippon Professional Baseball. If the Giants sign him, should he be considered a ‘Prospect’, and included in the pool (if the Giants sign him)? Vote ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ below.
Should Yusei Kikuchi be considered a ‘Prospect’ and part of the CPL if the Giants sign him?
This poll is closed
(Polls can not be seen if you are viewing the page through Google AMP or Apple News. Please view the full webpage to participate!)
Are you ready? Who is Number 1? Who is Number 2? Who will be Number 44? Will Farhan Zaidi listen to our opinions?
Stick with us the rest of the off season to see who makes the list, right up until Spring Training begins.