The tale of Tim Lincecum and Buster Posey is a familiar one around here. But what really happened between them? Can we figure it out using only pictures from several different seasons and captions written in order to serve a presumably fictional narrative? Of course we can!
A history of Tim Lincecum and Buster Posey, in pictures
An American tragedy.
- May 2010: As Buster tosses a ball to Tim, you can see in his eyes the question of whether they can work together. He hopes so. Of course he hopes so. He also hopes he'll never have to wear that hat again.
- July 2010: Bengie Molina had just been traded two weeks earlier, but you can see from the body language a sense of comfort and familiarity. They're so close to each other. Perhaps each sees the greatness in the other?
- August 2010: Look at the trust in this relationship. See the body language as they both search for answers during Tim's first bad month in the majors. And you know what? They figured it out. Together, they could do anything.
- September 2010: The first crack in their relationship. Buster can't even look at Tim, who mostly just stares sullenly and vacantly. August hurt them both.
- October 2010: But here they are, after Tim's masterpiece against the Braves. You can see how exhausted Tim is, but Buster...Buster is his strength. Buster will always be there for you, Tim. Always.
- February 2011: Just a couple of world champs in Spring Training. There's a comfort level here; the two of them are used to each other and know how to communicate. These are the good years. Treasure them.
- May 2011: "Would you be there for me?" Buster just asked. "If something happened, would you be there for me?" Tim said yes, but after he paused. What the hell does THAT mean?
- February 2012: A cordial "Welcome back" between the two, but something's off. Did Tim not call Buster when he was recovering? Is Buster just now realizing he stood Tim up for dinner a month back? Just what happened here?
- May 2012: Look at the anger on Buster's face. Look at the disgust. This used to be something beautiful. What the hell is it now?
- June 2012: "Hector, no one asked you, okay? This is between me and Tim. Now don't try to talk again, because no one asked you a fucking thing."
- August 2012: They're trying. Bless their hearts, they're really trying to make it work. Dave knows that this doesn't have a bright future, but he's gonna try anyway. He believes in these kids, even if they don't.
- March 2013: They don't know how this works exactly. Things have been said, things have been done, and there's no going back. They're better together, but WHOA JOAQUIN BACK OFF PRIVATE CONVERSATION MAN PRIVATE CONVERSATION.
- April 2013: Vacant, hollow, going through the motions. Go get 'em, champ. Do your best out there. Have a perfunctory butt slap.
- May 2013: "Buster, this isn't getting better. I think...I think it would be better if I spent more time pitching to Hector." Buster isn't stunned, but he's hurt. He's angry. Tim wants no part of him, and he'll just have to deal with that.
- July 2013: "Let's just do this, okay Buster? Let's just go out there and give it our best shot and whatever happens, happens." "Fine." "Are you-" "I'm fine."
- The same day of July 2013: "HEY BUDDY WE DID IT A NO-HITTER" "You know this doesn't change anything" "Can we just...can we just enjoy it?"
- September 2013: And yet, somehow...a bit of a renaissance. They are engaged out there. Their body language is good. No, this battery isn't what it once was, and it probably never will be again, but for what it is...well, it could be worse.
- February 2014 Tim stopped Buster to talk and Buster doesn't know why. Did he join a cult? Are they recruiting? Even David Miscavige knows Buster doesn't have any thetans, Tim. Back off. This is getting weird.
- September 2014: Tim's not giving much of a hug but he's being friendlier than HEY THAT'S SUSAC YOU LIED TO ME USA TODAY CAPTION WHAT THE HELL
- October 2014: Buster's pretty put out by that Susac thing too. He thought that Tim just got along with Hector, but seeing him with Andrew...it's personal, isn't it?
- Raising the flag! They can each carry a trophy, just as long as they're not standing next to each other. How sad that it's come to this.