The 2014 MLB Draft is over. You know what that means. The 2019 World Series is firmly in the Giants' grasp. At least three of these players will win various awards in that magical season. I can't wait. You can't wait.
Until then, we'll just stare at these names and wait. The complete list of Giants draftees from the 2014 draft:
|1||14||Tyler Beede||Vanderbilt (TN)||RHP||R/R|
|2||52||Aramis Garcia||Florida International (FL)||C||R/R|
|3||87||Dylan Davis||Oregon State (OR)||RF||R/R|
|4||118||Logan Webb||Rocklin HS (CA)||RHP||R/R|
|5||148||Samuel Coonrod||Southern Illinois University Carbondale (IL)||RHP||R/R|
|6||178||Skyler Ewing||Rice (TX)||1B||R/R|
|7||208||Seth Harrison||University of Louisiana - Lafayette (LA)||CF||R/R|
|8||238||Austin Slater||Stanford (CA)||CF||R/R|
|9||268||Stetson Woods||Liberty HS (CA)||RHP||R/R|
|10||298||Mathew Gage||Siena College (NY)||LHP||R/L|
|11||328||Greg Brody||Belmont University (TN)||RHP||R/R|
|12||358||Jameson Henning||Western Illinois U (IL)||SS||R/R|
|13||388||Louis Lacen||Carlos Beltran Baseball Academy (Puerto Rico)||CF||R/R|
|14||418||Kevin Rivera||Carlos Beltran Baseball Academy (Puerto Rico)||2B||S/R|
|15||448||Benton Moss||North Carolina (NC)||RHP||R/R|
|16||478||Kevin Ginkel||Southwestern College (CA)||RHP||R/R|
|17||508||Caleb Smith||USC Aiken (SC)||LHP||R/L|
|18||538||Edrick Agosto||International Baseball Academy (Puerto Rico)||RHP||R/R|
|19||568||Richard Amion||Alabama St U (AL)||CF||R/R|
|20||598||Bret Underwood||Northwestern State (LA)||CF||L/R|
|21||628||Matt Crownover||Clemson (SC)||LHP||R/L|
|22||658||Mark Reyes||Crowder College (MO)||LHP||R/L|
|23||688||Jordan Johnson||Cal State - Northridge (CA)||RHP||R/R|
|24||718||Michael Peterson||Riverside CC (CA)||RHP||R/R|
|25||748||Byron Murray||Trinity Christian Academy (FL)||RF||R/R|
|26||778||Hunter Cole||Georgia (GA)||3B||R/R|
|27||808||Conner Kaden||Wake Forest U (NC)||RHP||R/R|
|28||838||Nick Sabo||Cal St Long Beach (CA)||LHP||R/L|
|29||868||Ryan Cruz||Col of the Canyons (CA)||RHP||R/R|
|30||898||Cov Covington||U West Florida (FL)||1B||L/L|
|31||928||Nick Nelson||Rutherford HS (FL)||RHP||R/R|
|32||958||Hunter Williams||Cosby HS (VA)||LHP||L/L|
|33||988||Deac Deacon||Cal St Fullerton (CA)||C||L/R|
|34||1018||Timothy Susnara||St. Francis HS (CA)||C||L/R|
|35||1048||Mitch Hart||Granite Bay HS (CA)||RHP||R/R|
|36||1078||Zach Taylor||Horizon HS (AZ)||C||R/R|
|37||1108||Garrett Christman||Noblesville HS (IN)||SS||L/R|
|38||1138||Benito Santiago||Coral Springs Christian Academy (FL)||C||L/R|
|39||1168||Joe Ryan||Sir Francis Drake HS (CA)||RHP||R/R|
|40||1198||Riles Mahan||Moeller HS (OH)||SS||L/R|
- Years ago, the Giants had Aaron Hornostaj and Aaron Sobieraj in the organization at the same time. I always figured they were mortal enemies. I get that same feeling from Deac Deacon and Cov Covington. There can be only one.
- "Okay, skip. Ready for the first practice."
"What do you play?"
"Pitcher, mostly. A little second base."
"What's your name?"
"Okay, here's your catcher's gear."
"But I'm a pitcher."
"So, here's your catcher's gear."
- I told you there would be a Caleb.
- Samuel Coonrod is still the best name of the draft, but don't sleep on Kevin Ginkel. "Bring out the Gink." "But the Gink's slumping." "Well, then, I guess you'll just have to wake him up ..."
- The Giants went back to back with players from the Carlos Beltran Baseball Academy, where tools are refined and baseball players are taught to be cold, unfeeling monsters. I really enjoyed the video for Kevin Rivera. It looks like he has a quick bat. I don't know what I'm looking for, so I want someone to validate me in the comments. He has a "quick bat", right? Really "moves through the zone."
- Mitch Hart was an interesting pick in the 35th round. From Baseball America earlier in the year:
Hart, an athletic RHP, has not taken the step forward this spring that many expected, according to scouts. His velocity has been in the 80s in some starts, although his fastball has been up to 92 in the last month. He entered the spring as a potential top 3 round pick but evaluators have said he has fallen from that territory. But he could push back up into that territory with a strong finish to the season.
No idea how they'll keep him away from USC with 35th-round slot money, but maybe he's a huge Giants fan. Granite Bay represent.
19 position players
25 college players
15 high school players
2 first basemen
1 second baseman
1 third baseman
0 left fielders
5 center fielders
2 right fielders
6 left-handed pitchers
15 right-handed pitchers