My 12 favorite Hunter Pence photos of the year
- (Thearon W. Henderson - Getty Images Sport) You thought this was just going to be of silly Hunter Pence faces, right? Well, there's more to the tale. You first have to dig into his mechanics for life. Here he is running.
- Tony Medina - Getty Images Sport And this is Hunter Pence throwing. Only now can you start to appreciate the faces. When you ask Europeans to throw you things -- hey, toss me my keys -- this is what they look like. Europeans and mantids. But half of the joke is that Pence has a strong arm.
- Howard Smith - USA TODAY Sports This is the only non-Giants pic, but it's of Hunter Pence demolishing his third-base coach, so it had to be included. I'd like to think that Pence didn't touch him.
- Kirby Lee - USA TODAY Sports This is like the beginning of a movie. The supervillain keeps his powers a secret, hidden beneath a pair of special glasses.
- Jeff Curry - USA TODAY Sports But when it's time to release those powers ...
- Doug Pensinger - Getty Images Sport He recruits people for his army of the undead. And they will follow him anywhere. ANYWHERE.
- Jeff Curry - USA TODAY Sports HRRAAAHHHHHHKKHHHHHH
- Jeff Curry - USA TODAY Sports GRRHAAAHHHHRRHHHHXXHRHHXKKK
- Peter G. Aiken - USA TODAY Sports "So this ... this is how I am to gain their trust. This sphere and the men who toss it about ... it has special meaning. I shall learn their ways."
- Rick Osentoski - USA TODAY Sports This one has everything. The playoff beard. The vacant, wide-eyed stare. This is maybe my favorite. There is no way that Pence didn't eat poor Mr. Osentoski's liver after this photo was taken.
- Kelley L Cox - USA TODAY Sports This isn't the best Pence face, but it is the one I'd send back in time to weird people out. Just Hunter Pence in a Giants championship shirt with a bunch of Cracker Jack in the air, no big whoop.
- Kelley L Cox - USA TODAY Sports You can't even see his face, but this is the one. This is the best. Hunter Pence's bat hit the ball three times in one swing, and the Giants won the World Series. Those two things are actually related. You could almost hear the "RECALIBRATING ... RECALIBRATING ..." between each instance of contact.