The new rage: Eugenio Velez, potential third baseman. It's a counterintuitive move, as third basemen usually have a little bit of power, and Velez hits like Bill Mueller on a hunger strike. But if the goal is to sift through the young players and see who should stick around for the rebuilding process, the young players need playing time. Joe Crede, whose contract expires at the end of this year, would not help this goal. Please refer to this professionally made flow chart for further explanation.
Pros to starting Velez at third:
- Gets Velez some at-bats
- The Giants don't give up anything for Joe Crede
- It's fun watching him run?
- There's about a 5% chance that Velez will ever hit enough to be a legit third baseman.
- Squeezes at-bats from Kevin Frandsen once Omar Vizquel comes back.
- Fields like a drunk and gloveless Ben Grimm.