Update: The auction is live! Go to speckops's user page to see what's for sale. Bid on everything, dang it. If you're interested in a specific item, though, all of the items listed below will have links to its specific auction.
It hasn't been a year since Alex Lewis left us too soon. Does that seem surprising because it seems like it's been longer? Shorter? No idea. It's still hard to comprehend. He's still missed in the comments, every single day.
After Alex's passing, the law office where he worked set up a scholarship in his honor. The scholarship will go to an applicant interested in creative writing, which was one of Alex's passions. While I'm a big fan of Doctors Without Borders, I can't help but wonder where my money actually goes. Did they get a stapler they wouldn't have otherwise had? Don't know. Here, you know that your money is going to help a college kid out with his books or food, or something tangible like that.
To that end, this is an announcement of an auction to benefit the Alex Lewis Scholarship Fund. The auction started on Sunday, March 24 at 6:00 p.m. Pacific, and it will end on Wednesday, March 27 at 6:00 p.m. Pacific. The items will be listed on eBay, and while I'll post the direct links here once they're live, you can also find them when you search for speckops' user page or search for an item with "Alex Lewis Scholarship Fund" in the title.
The items that are up for auction:
- Lunch with Dave Flemming (donated by the man himself)
- Bat signed by Barry Bonds, Matt Williams, and Will Clark (donated by mrs. owlcroft)
- Frank Robinson-signed ball (donated by the man himself)
- Gaylord Perry-signed ball and bobblehead
- Brandon Crawford signed baseball (donated by the Giants)
- Brandon Belt signed baseball (donated by kdl)
- George Kontos signed baseball (donated by kdl)
- Will Clark bobblehead (donated by the Giants)
- A custom-designed GIF or McC avatar (donated by Natto)
- $150 gift certificate to the Paragon (donated by the Paragon)
- A World Series poster from Chartball (donated by Chartball)
- The option to choose the front-page post topic at McC (I would pay for people to do this, so I guess it's not a donation)
- A rare Charlie Brown Giants bobblehead (donated by my mom)
- Other assorted bobbleheads: Pablo Sandoval, Lucy Van Pelt, Crazy Crab, Tim Lincecum (my mom has a problem)
- Pablo Sandoval gnome (donated by KDL)
- Custom-knit Giants socks (donated by Tortured)
- Th ZenPop-designed Fillmore poster of your choice (go here to see the selection, donated and signed by ZenPop)
- Mickey Mouse Giants pin (donated by Giant_in_la_area)
- Two $25 certificates to District SF (donated by District SF)
- Two premium seats to the May 21 Giants/Nationals game, which happens to be McC Night at the Yard this year (donated by Goofus, and you'll have to sit with the both of us, unfortunately)
- An Authentic Giants Fan Experience from Comcast SportsNet -- including a studio tour of Comcast SportsNet's downtown San Francisco state-of-the-art facilities, where you can watch a live taping and meet the show talent and analysts, as well as receive a fan pack with Authentic Giants fan gear. (tour will be scheduled on a mutually agreed upon date). (Donated by CSN Bay Area)
Please, please spread the word as best you can, and if any of those items seem appealing to you, know that you can have them and contribute to a good cause as well.
Again, I'll post the links as soon as they're live, and if y'all could refrain from off-topic chatter in this post, that'd be swell. We want to make sure everyone and anyone can open this post, even the people on Commodore 64s.
Happy bidding. Miss you, Alex.