The Official McCovey Chronicles Fantasy Baseball League Presented By Yahoo! will be getting underway soon. As a reminder, the GMs:
can of corn
and … aw, damn, GiantPain
And me. If everyone would do me a favor and let me draft Clayton Kershaw, we could guarantee the Dodgers would have a lousy year. That's how my fantasy teams work, so I'm on a Kemp/Kershaw kick in my other league. Have to use these powers for good, everybody.
Now we have to determine the categories. The traditional categories for fantasy baseball are AVG, R, RBI, HR, and SB for hitters, and ERA, W, K, WHIP, and S for pitchers. And I kind of like that, if only because of familiarity. I'm used to taking team strength into account when drafting -- you're not just drafting players, you're drafting context.
On the other hand, you can set up a league where the hitters have these categories:
hitting for the cycle
And for pitchers:
double plays induced
Which would be ... dunno. Gimmicky. But entertaining as all heck.
You're going to have to read updates about this throughout the season, so my goal was to have you vote on "standard" or "silly" stats for the category. But after twitching for a bit, I realized that it would be annoying to be in that second league.
So the poll is between "standard" and "kinda sabermetric." I'll define the latter as these stats:
Home runs allowed
So you get to vote! Yay! Then we'll draft and report.
- Yahoo! Sports is the leading fantasy provider on the Internet, home to millions of fans playing the #1 fantasy baseball game available – all for free!
- Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Baseball ’13 is easy to use, with mock drafts, player comparison features, and numerous customization options. Plus - Yahoo! Sports offers superior stability, especially during drafts and games (Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Baseball doesn’t drop the ball).
- The #1 free game keeps getting better: now with same day drafts, custom playoff seeding, and game-time waivers.
- Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Baseball provides fans with top-notch information, resources, and expert advice. From player notes to injury updates to player availability across leagues, Yahoo! Sports helps you win big. This year never miss a last minute injury with updated player notes.
- Yahoo! Sports provides pre-draft advice clips to help you draft the best team possible. Fantasy advice is also available throughout the season with bi-weekly video clips and the Fantasy Freaks on Yahoo! Sports Radio on Friday’s 8–10pm EST
- Don’t miss a trade or waiver wire again! Daily roster changes are made easy with the Fantasy Baseball app available on Android, iPhone, and iPad (new this year!).
- Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball gives you real-time fantasy score updates wherever you go. View team, league, and player stats, edit your lineups, and check your standings and matchups.
- Yahoo! Sports offers the fantasy fanatic an even more competitive way to play with Pro Leagues! Join a Pro League for $20 or $100 and compete to win cash prizes. For those who dare to put some skin in the game.
Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball supports SBNation and fantasy league families everywhere. Get better experts, better tools, and better stats with the #1 free fantasy baseball game. This season also features a brand new iPad app, so sign up now. Get ready for opening day with better play on Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Baseball.