STANDARD DISCLAIMER: THIS POST OUTLINES A METHOD OF MODIFYING THE SYSTEM FILES OF YOUR ANDROID PHONE. I RECOMMEND READING THE INSTRUCTIONS THROUGH A FEW TIMES BEFORE TRYING THIS. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU SCREW UP YOUR PHONE, VOID YOUR WARRANTY, OR INCITE GLOBAL ZITOGEDDON.
I've been fooling around with custom boot animations on my Samsung Captivate (the animation/graphic that comes up after my AT&T logo), and wanted to share a new creation: Gregor Blanco's catch last night. To use this, youlll need to be rooted and have a custom kernel that supports bootanimation.zip (like many, many of the custom kernels on XDA Developers). These instructions have been written as if you have Root Explorer. If you are comfortable with another file explorer or ADB, you can use that method as well.
This is what your boot animation will look like when you're done:
(credit to WhereThere'sAWillieThere'sAMays for posting this earlier today)
- Download "bootanimation-blanco.zip" from my dropbox link.
- Connect your phone to your computer via USB
- Copy the file to your SD card
- Disconnect the phone from the computer
- Open Root Explorer on your phone
- Find "bootanimation-blanco.zip", long press on it and copy it
- Go to /system/media/ and click on "Mount R/W"
- Paste the file
- Find the existing bootanimation.zip file, long press on it, and rename it "bootanimation.bak"
- Long press on "bootanimation-blanco.zip" and rename it: "bootanimation.zip"
- Long press it again and change Permissions to:
- Owner [X] [X] [ ]
- Group [X] [ ] [ ]
- Others [X] [ ] [ ]
- The Permissions should now read: rw-r--r--
- Click "Mount R/O" (VERY IMPORTANT STEP)
- Reboot the phone
The animation will not play very fast the first time through, but it still looks cool. I haven't figured out how to fully optimize it, but if I do I'll post an updated version.
This tool works pretty well for relatively short GIFS (<1-2Mbs): Link
This is a great guide for building boot animations from the ground up: Link
XDA is where you can learn all about rooting and custom kernels/ROMs: Link