FanPost

[UPDATED] Fangraphs: Mike Newman prospect chat

He's answered two of my questions:

4:45
Comment From Nivra Which of the three Giants' catchers do you like best and why? Who has the highest ceiling? Who has the highest floor? Best D?

4:47 Mike Newman: I became enamored with Hector Sanchez after watching catch in Augusta. Tommy Joseph, not so much... I have yet to see Susac so I don't have any sort of opinion. I was extremely surprised to read Joseph just missed the BA top-100 actually. Sanchez just scouted as the better all-around talent at the time.
4:53
Comment From Nivra Many considered Panik an overdraft for the Giants last spring? Given his stellar performance in the NWL, do you agree with that? Do you see him sticking at SS?

4:54 Mike Newman: I thought he was an overdraft as well. When I saw him playing with St. John's, he didn't have the arm to make plays deep in the hole. I like the hit tool as a .285 10-12 HR guy with plus defense at 2B. I know he crushed the NWL, but he should have as a college guy who played against decent competition.

I also asked him a question about the overall 2011 pitching class, and a question about his theory that high BB% is an indicator of less room for growth. He didn't get to those questions.

Here's his non-answer on Crick:

5:10
Comment From Rob Does Kyle Crick possess the potential to front a major league rotation, and if so, does being in San Francisco's system enhance his odds of reaching that potential?
5:10 Mike Newman: Rob, you continue to ask me questions about guys I'll see in 2012. I appreciate the excitement, but you'll be happy with the pay off if you are patient.

Oh, and for those that still pine after Wheeler:

4:59
Comment From Guest Wheeler or Harvey?

5:00 Mike Newman: Wheeler for me. Younger and similar stuff, so I see him as having a higher projection.

Update

Mike answered some more prospect questions in the comments:

Nivra says: March 1, 2012 at 4:44 pm

You wrote an article about Yankee’s prospect Flores saying that his high BB% was an indicator of good control of the strike zone but also limited projection because he wouldn’t have the same room for growth as other prospects. Do you think high BB% limits projection for all prospects? What other major prospects have this profile?

• Mike Newman says: March 2, 2012 at 11:41 am

Great question Nivra, but I can provide no easy answer. In the low minors, I’m much more interested with strikeout rates than walk rates. Of course a 2% BB rate is cause for concern because it’s so extreme, but I’d rather see a Nolan Arenado post a 5% BB rate and 13% K rate in the Sally because it indicates both elite contact skills and a need to improve his pitch selection. If/when those improvements occur, it will have a positive impact in his offensive game across the board.

As for Flores, his 11+% rate shows me he’s already identifying pitches to hit and drawing walks. How does Flores hone that skill even more? I’m not sure he does and it forces me to focus on his physical development.

Ray says: March 1, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Francisco Peguero is certainly a toolsy outfielder for the Gigantes. Can his tools offset his inability to walk at least thus far in his career?

• Mike Newman says: March 2, 2012 at 11:43 am

I was very so-so on Peguero when I scouted him in the Sally. He was fluid, but wasn’t a real quick twitch guy and lacked both explosiveness and the ability to identify pitches to hit. It came across as a little sloppy, although he was better later in the season.

For me, he profiles as more of a 4th outfielder who will hit some, but won’t walk enough or play the defense needed to profile as a CF where his offensive skill set would fit best.

Jesse says: March 1, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I notice most people consider Conor Gillaspie someone who will be a good pinch-hitter and utility player. Do you think he still has a chance to start on a good major league team and provide decent production?

DrBGiantsfan says: March 1, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Sorry for asking this here, but I always miss the chats due to work.

Did you see either Mike Kickham or Seth Rosin last year? Do you see either of them “breaking out” at higher levels? I know they are both older college draftees but both seem to have some tools that could be polished up.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

• Mike Newman says: March 2, 2012 at 11:45 am

No problem at all. To be honest, contacts told me Augusta didn’t really have a viable big leaguer on the roster last season so I directed my scouting budget elsewhere. I’m hoping for better in August this season.

This FanPost is reader-generated, and it does not necessarily reflect the views of McCovey Chronicles. If the author uses filler to achieve the minimum word requirement, a moderator may edit the FanPost for his or her own amusement.

X

forgot?

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join McCovey Chronicles

You must be a member of McCovey Chronicles to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at McCovey Chronicles. You should read them.

Join McCovey Chronicles

You must be a member of McCovey Chronicles to participate.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

tracking_pixel_9351_tracker