I shelled out $100 for a VIP ticket to the Logan's Freedom Ride Event, which was held last night at Pedro's Cantina on King St. Several Giants and former Giants turned out: Tim Lincecum, Barry Zito, Pablo Sandoval, Aubrey Huff, Pat Burrell, Buster Posey, Sergio Romo, Jonathan Sanchez, Floppy Tendon, JT Snow, Rich Aurilia, Woody, Nate Schierholtz, Eli Whiteside, Ramon Ramirez (we think) and Grant. There were also a few Sharks players there (I didn't recognize them, but apparently Devin Setoguchi was one). A bunch of CSN Bay Area people were there, too. Pics and highlights after the jump.
Sorry for the size (TWSS!). The rest of the pictures are here. Look at them. I used an old camera, because I didn't want to lug my SLR around, so they're not great, but still worth looking at. (And, yes, I know the album title is missing an apostrophe. Photobucket hates punctuation, apparently.)
- Sergio Romo was tending bar and trying to learn a trick with a bottle opener. Mostly, a lot of beer ended up on the floor. He was unbelievably charming, though, and gave us some sage advice: "a smile will get you everywhere."
- A guy got in line behind us to get a picture and an autograph from Timmy and said, kind of defensively, "My son's going to love this!" Sure, guy. It's for "your son."
- Timmy was a doll. People were trying to cut in line to get to him (the rest of us were being pretty orderly), and he told them, "there's a line." It was cute.
- My friend, Melissa, showed Buster the "He Ain't Having It" shirt. He had NO IDEA what she was talking about. :( The look on his face of total befuddlement was hysterical. It was kind of awkward. Buster is nice, but seems pretty shy.
- Pablo is not fat. I know, I'm the one who said Bengie wasn't fat, so no one will believe me, but seriously. Pablo looks pretty normal. He's not built like Brian Wilson or Nate Schierholtz (swoon), or anything, but he's not gigantically fat. Also, he wasn't very nice.
- We got to tell JT Snow that Belt had been promoted to AAA. He was excited. I've heard he's a jerk, but he was super nice to us.
- Woody was hilarious. He bid on a Yadier Molina signed bat in the auction! Also, my friend Julie told him about how people use pictures of him as their profile pictures on Twitter for good luck, and he laughed so hard.
- No one bid on Chris Ray's game used cleats at the auction. :(
- I met heimy25! And Cole Kuiper! Both were super cool.
- When we were getting pictures with Zito, the flash on Melissa's camera wasn't going off. Finally, after we tried unsuccessfully to take the picture two times, Barry took the camera and turned the flash on himself. It was hilarious and awesome.
- They gave us a ball to have signed when we got there (part of the VIP thing). Pat Burrell signed both mine and Julie's balls over a logo so you can't really see the signature. Since he did it to both of us, it seemed intentional. As well as kind of dickish. Oh well. I will say this: he is very attractive. (Your zucchini is jealous!)
- Aubrey Huff spent most of the night behind the bar. He was signing autographs and he dropped the pen and yelled, "fuck!" Then he stopped what he was doing, and looked at everyone in front of him for a good ten seconds with this hilarious look on his face. He finally said, "I can cuss, right?" And, then yelled, "fuck!" again. Then he added a "goddamn it!" for good measure. He, also, wasn't all that nice, but he made up for it in comedy.
- Grant is very, very short. He seemed shy, also, but was nice. He was trying to get Jonathan Sanchez's attention across the bar for a long time, and finally walked over to him to say hi. He probably still feels a little out of place, but he did seem to talk with Zito and JT a lot.
- Taking the picture with Nate was super awkward, because he refused to put his arm around me, and I didn't know what to do with my arm and then someone bumped into me, and it was a mess.
- At one point, Pablo and Huff were doing shots with each other, and with people at the bar. Huff was also drinking a martini at one point.
- Amy G seemed to really like tending bar.
- Every Giant who was drinking beer was drinking a Budwiser or some other shitty beer. Buster ended up with some actual good beer and, when he saw Eli with a Coors Light or something, he was like, "Where did you get that? I thought all they had was this!" He was upset he had to drink the good beer! Also, I missed this, but Julie said Buster told Eli that "they needed to get some Barryoke going." LOLOLOL.
- Jaymee Sire was on the dance floor toward the end of the night, belting out the lyrics to Bon Jovi songs and "Ice Ice Baby." Jonathan was totally checking her out, in a ridiculously obvious way. It was hilarious.
- The night ended with Jonathan and Pablo grinding with girls on the dance floor, like it was a homecoming dance. I didn't want to watch, but I also couldn't look away.
Oh, and just for fun:
(By the way, Grant = Fontenot.)
This FanPost is reader-generated, and it does not necessarily reflect the views of McCovey Chronicles. If the author uses filler to achieve the minimum word requirement, a moderator may edit the FanPost for his or her own amusement.