OK, Bengie Molina's gone now, and it seems only right that after the blistering he's gotten around here this year (albeit deserved), that we still give the man a tip of the cap for what he did here. Let's face it...
- He out-performed his offensive career averages with us... remarkable for a catcher in his 30's
- The pitchers did well and seemed to like him
- He won two Willie Mac awards, voted by his teammates
- His performance validated his original signing, which frankly was NOT what was widely predicted around here.
- He was signed this year as Buster insurance, and effectively did that. Granted, he could have been phased out earlier, but that's not really his fault.
Sabean does seem to leave a bad taste with his last contracts for guys who were worthy overall (Bengie, Richie, Ray-Ray). Let's not let the end leave a permanent bitter taste on what should be ultimately good.
Cheers, Bengie. Good luck to you down in Texas.