With their fifth round pick in the 2009 MLB Draft the Giants took first baseman Brandon Belt. Right now, he is looking like a fabulous pick. After the jump, I'll detail a few reasons why. All statistics are as of May 16, 2010.
- He hits for contact: .388 AVG
- He actually takes a walk (not something that many of our current hitters do): 24 BB
- He doesn't strike out all that often: 17 K (he has more walks than strikeouts)
- He has some speed: 9/13 SB
- He is young: Just turned 22 years old last month
One might say that Belt is still in the low levels of the minor leagues (High A San Jose) and has a small sample size of statistics (similar to 2008 fourth round pick Brandon Crawford last year), but I would argue that the plate discipline and speed Belt has displayed thus far bode well for his future.