I've been Googling and otherwise looking up our draft picks today. A few things I've learned:
- 28th round pick Jamaine Cotton is, like Juan Carlos Perez from last year's draft class, a student at Western Oklahoma. Despite the name, he's not a New Zealander - he's a native of the US Virgin Islands. He has a Facebook account - you can't see it without being a friend, but in his profile picture he's wearing a Cardinals hat (boooo). Here is his player profile page from Western Oklahoma. Not much info, sadly.
- 3rd round pick Chris Dominguez is apparently not popular among some fans of the University of Missouri, who have set up a Facebook group predicting he has a future as a sanitation worker due to his exuberant celebration of a home run against their team. The group is two years old and has 17 members, all of whom, I'm sure, are devastated that Dominguez's career as a "garbologist" is now on hold.
- 50th round pick Kaohi Downing was drafted as a pitcher, but mainly played as an outfielder and hit .339 with 8 home runs and a .442 OBP. His pitching consisted of a relatively small number of appearances as a reliever. Despite growing up in Hawaii and attending college in San Diego, he's a White Sox fan. His profile specifically mentions he wants to play professionally, so unlike last year's 50th round pick, maybe he'll sign.
- It's hard to find info on 49th round pick Austin Goolsby - the results are mostly for Austan Goolsbee, an economic advisor to Barack Obama.
- Attn wilriv: Diego Seastrunk can toe the rubber! He has a perfect 0.00 ERA, in fact - in one inning in 2008. He's also a native of the humble town of Humble, Texas.
Just a few random tidbits I've come across. I'm posting them in the hopes that they might amuse, and that this fanpost might give a place for other people to share similar tidbits they've come across.