Let’s see. Is there something that Giants fans should be thankful for? Something that did or didn’t happen? Something major that would have changed life as we know it, perhaps ripping open the fabric of space and time? Hmm. Can’t think of anything off the top of my head….
Oh. Right. That.
I would like to give thanks for Tim Lincecum, Cy Young Award winner, in a Giants uniform. I would like to give thanks for Alex Rios, useful and moderately productive player, in a Blue Jays uniform.
There’s a new brand of revisionist history going around, and it posits that Lincecum-for-Rios was never on the table – that it was just wishful thinking by the Blue Jays front office and/or Toronto media. I’d like to believe that; I really would. But when you have articles that directly quote Brian Sabean and a radio interview in which Sabean talks about a potential trade at length , the conspiracy theories don’t make a lot of sense.
Alex Rios for Tim Lincecum.
Tim Lincecum for Alex Rios.
I am thankful. I am thankful. I am thankful.
If you would like to revisit the progression, here’s a primer:
- The first whiff of a rumor. It’s so, so ridiculous that it’s laughed off.
- Local confirmation of the rumor’s validity. Oh. Oh my.
- Barely concealed panic masked as incredulity. Incredulity had outrage on retainer, just in case.
- People actually arguing for the trade. KNBR listeners who called in were split down the middle.
- Actual panic masked as a response to a pro-Lincecum-for-Rios article. A response to the article from the original author. More panic.
- An eventual mea culpa from the de facto voice of the trade's supporters.
I am thankful. I am thankful. I am thankful. It just seemed like something that was worth revisiting.