I think the Giants will go 3-5 over the next 8 games.
I'm basing that on my complete 8ull$hit analysis of probable pitching matchups:
ortiz v. duke (likely loss)
- The Pirates owned us last year, and Zuke is their dude. Hopefully Russ surprises.
zito v. armas (likely win)
- Armas isn't all that, and Zito has to start clicking at some point.
cain v. snell (likely tossup)
- I'm worried about this one, because of aforementioned Pirates ownage and Snell's stuff.
morris v. francis (likely tossup)
- Morris has done well enough to earn a tossup in what I would have called a likely loss last year.
lowry v. hirsch (likely tossup)
- Honestly, I think Hirsch will win out, but Lowry's pitched well, so we'll see.
ortiz v. reyes (likely loss)
- Don't know much about Reyes, but he's got to be better, on paper at least, than Ortiz.
zito v. wells (likely tossup)
- Kip Wells is pretty good, right?
cain v. looper (likely win)
- Cain, Cain, he's our man, if he can't do it, we need an offense!
So I got 2 likely wins, 2 likely losses, and 4 tossups. Because the offenses that we'll be facing are better in general than the Padres' and the Dodgers', I'm saying 1-3 on the tossups, 3-5 overall.