But while such tactics are commonplace at any stadium, bar or household across America, one Newark man apparently went above and beyond the call of duty when he phoned in a series of bomb threats during a pair of 2005 contests between the San Francisco Giants and the Atlanta Braves in Atlanta.
Now the 39-year-old man who made those calls faces up to 50 years in federal prison, although a much lesser sentence is expected when he returns to court in January, the man's attorney said.
Newark resident Dante Madamba Suguitan accepted an agreement last week and pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Atlanta to five counts of making the false threats, which claimed that bombs had been placed near the Giants and Braves dugouts during the two-game series, court records show.
"Dante is an extraordinarily avid baseball fan who was angry about the outcomes of the games against the Braves," defense attorney Matthew Dodge said Monday in a phone interview from his Atlanta office. "He understands that (his actions) were not rational and are illegal."
I also hate the Braves, however...